Did you know that exercise is one of the best things you can do for arthritis? According to the Alberta Arthritis Society and other experts, regular exercise can help to:
- Improve mobility and flexibility of joints,
- Improve muscle strength
- Help posture and balance
- decrease pain, fatigue and stress
- Improve your overall health
- Increase/maintain bone density
- reduce risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes
Everyone should exercise, but it is important to choose activities that suit your condition, preferences and lifestyle. Check with your doctor before you begin an exercise program, to help you determine what exercise level is appropriate and safe for you.
Here are some resources, tips and fact sheets to help you stay active!
- Alberta Centre for Active Living
- Top Ten Exercises from Arthritis Society of Canada
- Benefits of Arthritis and Exercise
Courses for caregivers and fitness professionals
- Arthritis and Exercise Online Course from the Provincial Fitness Unit
*Interested in a career in fitness? The AFLCA is a standard you can build your career on.
Information about how to get AFLCA certified.